Easily accessible, evidence-based information about Zika is now available to mothers, healthcare professionals, and the general public from MotherToBaby, a free service of the international non-profit Organization of Teratology Information Specialists (OTIS). Information is provided in both English and Spanish. MotherToBaby experts cover Zika-related topics such as:
- Mode of transmission
- Regions where it has been identified
- Symptoms of infection
- Effects of the infection and symptoms on the pregnancy
- Effects of treatment of the infection and symptoms on the pregnancy
- Prevention of infection
- Central nervous system (CNS) malformations
- Information on types of testing depending on when the infection occurred.
Access this and other information by calling toll-free (866) 626-6847. Calls are routed to one of 14 affiliated services around the country. The affiliates provide access to an expert, as well as offer in-person counseling sessions. Questions can also be sent by text to (855)-999-3525.
MotherToBaby will be launching an app this summer which will provide resources (including access to their experts) in an easy-to-use, quickly accessible format for mobile use.
In addition to email, text, and online live chat, consumers and providers can also access information through the MotherToBaby website which includes blogs, press releases, social media postings, and links to an extensive library of over 80 fact sheets.
MotherToBaby experts are available to discuss the risks of any kind of exposure during pregnancy or breastfeeding, including:
- Prescription medications
- Over-the-counter medications
- Vitamins and supplements
- Alcohol and recreational drugs
- Vaccinations or immunizations
- Diseases or infections
- Occupational exposures
- Paternal exposures.